Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, May 15, 2009

The Art of Potty Training



I NEVER thought it would be this difficult to potty train a child! We have been trying for a while now to potty train our now 3 year old son Lucas. However, we made a big mistake by starting shortly before the triplets were born. Hence, no success.





Fortunately, Lucas started showing interest again...yay!! But somehow I have yet to figure out how to successfully train him to properly use the toilet. Here is our current status:

Things he does really well:
  • pulls down his pants/shorts and pull-ups
  • moves the step stool in front of the toilet
  • places his toilet seat properly on the toilet
  • sits on the toilet.

Things he does really well that I however could live without:

  • runs around naked throughout the house
  • pee-pees over the seat onto the floor
  • doesn't want to put his pull-ups and pants/shorts back on
  • has mommy find a cup in the toilet and juice on his shirt
  • has mommy find a pair of socks in the toilet
  • has mommy find Lucas with a foot in the toilet
  • has mommy find Lucas with his head in the toilet and the top of his hair wet

So needless to say, it's going rather well.

Any suggestions/comments/ideas and smarty pants remarks are welcome, I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. hmmm... that's a conundrum. I remember when my nephew potty trained. He got up on his knees on the seat and leaned over. And my coworker said she had her boys aim at the floating cheerios. so there's my help. I haven't been there yet so that's all I got. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is kind of late for a comment but I have newborn triplets so that is my excuse! We tried everything and our pediatricain suggested rewards M&M's worked well for us. Brody (our singleton) would have to pee all the time after we started giving him one for going in the potty. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It actually helps to remember that you can't force your child to use a potty. If they aren't ready, you won't be able to make them... I know as a mother we are eager to see our kids graduate in diaper. I have a 2 year 10 month old daughter... I tried reading different kinds of books about potty training, other moms experience and the old school way --no diaper! and it was a disaster! she doesn't even wanna use the potty anymore... I was so frustrated so I gave up then two weeks ago she had diaper rash it was pretty bad (side effects of tamiflu --she had swine flu) then she doesn't wanna wear diaper so let her wear panty but I explained to her that she can't pee and poo in it she has to use the toilet and I showed her how I do it... the first day she had pee accidents coz I guess she can't control it yet but she wants to be changed right away coz she kept complaining it's ouchy! the second day I was shocked coz she did it all by herself, I got out the shower and saw her sitting on the toilet (not the potty) she used the potty as a stool... after that she has never looked back hehehe! no diaper even at night! I don't know if I should thank the diaper rash... but it was all because of it!

    ReplyDelete