Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, April 24, 2009

Motherhood

I really haven't been in the mood to post but that's probably because of lack of sleep and I will get into that in a minute. This will definitely be a melancholic post so bear with me.

Thinking back, even just a few years, I didn't think I ever wanted to have children. If it wasn't for the love I have for my husband and his love for children, I probably would have never had any. I didn't dislike children but I just didn't know "what to do" with a child. If they looked at me at a supermarket, I'd look away. If I saw a child cry, I could have cared less. In all honesty, I cared more for animals than I did for children. I know it sounds harsh but that is how I felt BEFORE I had my own. Now I know what a blessing, a miracle and a gift a child truly is.

Why am I telling you this? It's simple, I care! I follow quite a few blogs and I have to admit that I get attached to the precious babies all those mommies and daddies are writing about. I have been there with them through good times and bad times, through laughter and tears. And if they allow me to continue to follow their blogs, I will be reading their stories for many years to come. This has just been a heartbreaking week for two families: Mia's parents who lost their little girl a year ago today and sweet little Kayleigh who has already endured so much in her short lifetime and is now fighting even harder to stay alive.

This brings me to why I'm so physically and mentally exhausted. I have been up with Lucas who was quite sick the last few days. Nothing major, just a stomach virus. But it breaks my heart when I see one of my babies being so miserable. He was running a fever of 102 and we could not get it down. Every time I was able to get some Tylenol in his little body, he'd vomit it right back out. He was shivering and his body was burning up and there was little I could do to make him feel better. I took him to the doctor and he received a shot of Phenergan for nausea. That shot just absolutely knocked him out but it did take care of his nausea. We were still not able to get his fever down even after giving him two suppositories. At 6 am yesterday morning I was finally able to give him some more liquid Tylenol which FINALLY brought his temperature down. His fever is now gone and he is finally able to keep his liquids and some food down but he is still not back to his normal self. Poor baby still looks like he is drugged out of his mind which is no wonder after not having eaten in days nor been able to keep a whole lot of fluids down but getting all these meds to make him feel better.

I just love my babies so much and I couldn't imagine what life would be like without them. Being a mom to them is truly the greatest gift!

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. Before I had my precious one, I always felt akward around children and wanted nothing to do with them. I myself didn't know what to do. I didn't grow up with small children in my family so I had no experience. I always kept a distance and never wanted to reach out to any child.

    Well, along came Christopher. Everything I said before has changed. I want to help a child when I seem them crying or hurt, even if they're not my own...it's like a reflex.

    I can still still remember the first time Christopher had a stomach virus, he to, couldn't keep anything down and he was only 10 months old. It broke my heart and I wanted to do everything in my power to make him feel better.

    ReplyDelete